DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
A natural practice area for the attorneys at Avenue Title Group is the preparation and filing of the documents required to effectuate the conversion and registration of a new condominium. The process of registering a new "stick-built" project or of converting rental housing to a condominium regime is governed by DC Law (the District of Columbia Act of 1976, DC Law 1-89, as amended (the "Act")). Until the requirements of the Act are met, no new condominium Unit can legally be offered for sale by a developer.
Attorneys in our office have handled over one hundred (100) separate registrations to date, each of which has required our varied talents to shepherd through the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs ("DCRA") and the DC Recorder of Deeds. We welcome the challenge of each new project believing we are the best-qualified attorneys in DC handling this type of practice.
The legal documentation required to create a condominium in the District of Columbia includes:
- An Application for Condominium Conversion or Registration
- A Public Offering Statement
- A Purchase Agreement for each Unit outsale
- A Condominium Declaration
- A Condominium By-Laws.
We also coordinate and help guide the entire conversion project by:
- Obtaining approval of the Condominium Registration or Conversion Application
- Overseeing plat preparation, approval, and recordation
- Recording the Declaration and By-Laws
- Assisting in the Formation of the New Condominium Association
If you are interested in knowing more about converting a property to a condominium regime, the entire process takes on average ninety (90) days and is summarized in our Condominium Conversion Flowchart. (PDF)
For a free initial consultation, contact Anjanette Tinney-Young at 202-296-4500 ext. 204 (firstname.lastname@example.org)