Consider the following:
- If you presently have a mortgage on your property we will obtain a written "payoff demand" letter from your lender. Please provide us with your social security number and the name, telephone number, and account number of your lender. If, in addition, we are to pay-off a home equity line or other loan, let us know this as well. Please do not "draw" on the line after today without letting us know. Payoffs often take your lender 5 business days to process.
- If you have a copy of the title insurance policy and survey you received when you purchased your property, please send us both by facsimile to (202) 296-8146.
- If the property is a condominium, please supply us with the name and address of the management agent to whom you pay your condo fees, along with your account number.
- Please call us with the social security number of each seller (or the Tax ID number, if a seller is not an individual).
- We assume that each seller will attend settlement in person. Please let us know if any seller will not be attending settlement so a power of attorney can be drafted for your use.
- Please make sure the termite inspection report gets delivered to us, the buyer's agent and lender.
- We will order a title report on the property showing all recorded liens, defects, and other potential problems in the chain of title. We will contact you immediately if there are problems with your title. Make sure we know where to reach you if you are traveling.
- You should advise all appropriate utility companies of the sale, e.g. water, gas, electric, telephone, cable, and others. The telephone numbers for each are listed on our links page.
- Advise your homeowner's insurance company of the closing date and request a pro-rata refund of your fire insurance premium. Keep the coverage in place for 48 hours past closing.
- When we pay off your mortgage, your mortgage company must, under law, refund to you any escrow/reserves they may be holding. Note on your calendar a date three weeks after settlement to confirm you have received these funds.
- Please bring your house keys, garage door openers, warranties on new appliances or information on the alarm system, if applicable, to settlement.
- When will we actually close? Everyone will work towards settling on the target date selected by buyer and seller. But, settlement cannot legally take place until we have collected documents from many sources, including the DC Recorder of Deeds, the taxing authorities, surveyors, and buyer's lender. At times, sellers come into our offices early to sign the deed and other recording forms, avoiding any inconvenience. We are glad to assist if you wish to sign-off early on your documents.
- When will you get your sales proceeds? "Settlement" will occur only when we have all of the required documents, all required funds, and have checked with the Recorder of Deeds to make sure that nothing clouds title. We must then disburse by close of business the following day.
- How will you receive your money? We can courier you a check, or you may come by after settlement (next business day, normally) and pick up an Avenue Settlement Corporation escrow check. Wires can be arranged for an additional $35.00 cost.
- Please bring a photo identification to settlement (this is required by our title insurance underwriter).
- All of our locations offer free parking. Please call us for directions or uses Mapquest.com. Please drive carefully.